Suffolk Slant: The Top 10
Photo credit: Kathleen Malone-Van Dyke
Only five undefeated teams remain as we enter Week 7, after Sayville fell to Islip. Our top two teams face tests this week as Sachem North hosts once-beaten Longwood on Friday night and St. Anthony’s visits once-beaten Holy Trinity on Saturday.
Here is the link to MSG Varsity’s Tri-State Top 25:
Here is the link to Gregg Sarra's Long Island Power Ratings:
Zog’s Top 10
1. Sachem North (6-0). The Flaming Arrows were prime-time stars, walloping Floyd, 40-6, in the MSG Varsity Friday night game of the week. Five of Sachem North’s touchdowns came on plays of 30 yards or more – including a 70-yard run and 85-yard kickoff return by Dalton Crossan.
Up next: Hosts Longwood in another big Division I game on Friday night at 7:30.
2. St. Anthony’s (6-0). Chaminade was no match for the Friars, who cruised to a 28-0 victory. Clearly, St. Anthony’s has re-loaded this season and this moved up to No. 2 in Gregg Sarra’s Big 10, behind only Sachem North football.
Up next: At Holy Trinity in a big CHSFL AAA game on Saturday at 1:30 p.m.
3. Newfield (6-0). The Wolverines scored the game’s first six touchdowns en route to a 40-14 victory over Half Hollow Hills East.
Up next: Hosts Smithtown East on Saturday at 2 p.m.
4. Longwood (5-1). The Lions were able to hold off pesky Bay Shore, 29-25, to set up a showdown for first place in Division I against undefeated Sachem North.
Up next: At Sachem North on Friday night at 7:30.
5. Islip (6-0). The Buccaneers were impressive in winning their battle on unbeatens against Sayville by a surprisingly easy 41-13 score. Islip’s defense produced 10 sacks on quarterback Steven Ferreira and Jeffrey Craig ran for 146 yards and three TDs.
Up next: Hosts Kings Park on Friday night at 7 o’clock.
6. Floyd (4-2). It’s rare when Floyd is blown out in a Suffolk game, but that was the case last week when the Colonials were crushed by Sachem North, 40-6. Can they bounce back against once-beaten Connetquot this week?
Up next: Hosts Connetquot in a key Division I game on Saturday at 2 p.m.
7. Connetquot (5-1). After playing sparingly in two games because of injury, Mike Pellegrino was brilliant for a second straight week with 165 yards rushing and 14 tackles in the Thunderbirds’ 34-0 victory over Sachem East.
Up next: At Floyd on Saturday at 2 p.m.
8. East Islip (5-1). It was gritty, not pretty, but the Redmen survived their big game against rival North Babylon, winning 7-0 on a Kevin Hutchinson-to-Kyle Moller TD pass in the third quarter.
Up next: Hosts West Babylon on Saturday at 2 p.m.
9. Glenn (6-0). Another big day for Ryan Rielly and the Knights. The versatile quarterback passed for 199 yards and two touchdowns and ran for 81 yards and a score in Glenn’s 42-6 triumph over Center Moriches.
Up next: Hosts Mt. Sinai in a big Division IV game on Saturday at 2 p.m.
10. Sayville (5-1). The Golden Flashes couldn’t keep Islip’s defense from constantly pressuring Steven Ferreira, who managed two TD passes but was sacked 10 times in a 41-13 loss, Sayville’s first of the season.
Up next: Hosts Westhampton on Saturday at 2 p.m.
On the bubble (alphabetically): Babylon (4-2); Bayport-Blue Point (4-2); Deer Park (5-1), Holy Trinity (5-1), Mt. Sinai (5-1), North Babylon (4-2